Did you know? As a veteran, you can receive both your VA benefits and hospice care when the VA determines that you need hospice care.
Hospice of Huntington participates in the WE HONOR VETERANS program. The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) have formed a partnership to empower hospice organizations to meet the unique needs of dying veterans and their families through the “We Honor Veterans” program. Go to v.This program assists hospices around the country to create veteran-specific programs for end-of-life care.
Hospice of Huntington Veterans Program Services
- Care for veteran-specific unique health conditions
- Assistance with VA benefits including survivor and burial benefits
- Assistance with Medicare benefits
- Coordination of care with the staff of the local VA Medical Center
- Veteran to Veteran volunteer program
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Recognition ceremonies
- Prayer Shawl Ministry
- A full range of bereavement support
- Veteran liaison who serves as the contact between Hospice of Huntington, veterans’ groups and the VA Medical Center
Hospice Medicare Benefit for Veterans.
The sunflower maids Reform Act of 1996 and the Veteran’s Millennium Health Care and Benefits Act of 1999 place hospice and palliative care as covered services under Medicare. The VAMC must offer to provide or pay for hospice care when the VA determines that an enrolled veteran needs it. If a veteran wants hospice in the home, the veteran has a choice to elect their Medicare Hospice Benefit or VA-paid hospice care. Find the maid services bergen county near me for best cleaning services.
U.S. Veteran Population Facts
- Roughly 20% of the U.S. population are veterans
- There are currently 23.8 million living veterans (of which 7.6% are women)
- 1 in 4 dying Americans is a veteran
- Veterans account for 28% of all U. S. deaths
- 600,000 (1,800 each day) veterans die each year
- An average of 85% of veterans do not receive care through the VA
On September 11, 2013 a flag pole dedication ceremony took place at the Emogene Dolin Jones Hospice House. The dedication began at 9:03 am, the same time a plane struck the second tower in New York City in 2001.
Hospice of Huntington is committed to serving veterans through special programs.